Winter Leaves

Winter Leaves

Sunday, December 6, 2009

New Years Resolutions- How to Keep Them!

Good Sunday Morning to All! It is a Fabulous Morning here in Sunny South Florida. Yesterday we touched on the subject of New Years Resolutions. Today, I thought I would give you some insight on the best way to make them so they stick with you well into the New year! We already covered making a commitment. That's step one.

Once you have made that commitment, now you have to figure out what to do to be able to make it work! I'm going to give you some fabulous pointers that I found in the book "This year I will...". What you will need are S.M.A.R.T. Goals. This applies to EVERY goal you set.

First: Don't set more than 2 goals, and make them relevent to one another. The reason for this is that you can concentrate on these 2 areas and not worry about the 20 other areas you want to accomplish. Once you have chosen your 2 goals, now we need to make them SMART.

Smart Means: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, RElavent and Time-Bound.

For Example: My 2 Personal goals (which I am already working on) are:
# 1. Go From 185 lbs to 135 lbs by December 31, 2010.
To make my goal SMART- I add EXACTLY what I will do to achieve this goal! 
I will go to the gym and do 40 minutes of Cardio 5 days a week, 2 Strength Training Sessions a week (Once a week with a trainer), and 2 days of Yoga Classes every week. I will write the schedules in my daily planner just like a regular appointment.

#2 : Have a healthier diet:

I will track my food intake daily on Sparkpeople.com. I will eat a minimum of 25 grams of Fiber a day, and 2 fruits and vegetables a day.

Now, I could have been like 97% of the population and said "I will lose 50lbs and eat healthier." These are NOT "SMART Goals! They will not be achieved! Why? Because there is no measurable plan!

Be Specific! Very Specific! And once you have made your SMART Goals- Follow through and make your life better for yourself!

" You can do what you have always done, and next year be who you've always been. OR- You can take control of your life, and by next year, be who you've always wanted to be!" Remember- the choice is ultimately yours!

We'll talk tomorrow! Have a fabulous Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment